Thursday, July 30, 2009

SUVs, Off Road Vehicles, Jeep... TV Commercials

Auto commercials are aimed at the rugged off-road market. They even acknowledge that only 1% of SUV and pickup drivers use their vehicles in such a way- and then say "THIS truck is for the 1-percenters."

When I ride my road bicycle I see all these idiots riding their mountain bikes on the road with off-road tires- toiling away needlessly. I saw a Jeep Wrangler at Costco yesterday that gets 15 mpg city and 18 hwy. Who uses these things? College kids!

Why are they not built with engines to optimize road performance and not torque for something that will never go offroad much less hoist somebody out of croc infested rivers?

I've noticed that the luxury SUVs are marketed this way, but only those that are much too big and too fucking precious to get mud on- like the Lincoln Navigator.